ST. LOUIS, Miss – Three out of four car seats are being used incorrectly, which has caused vehicle crashes to be the leading cause of death in children. Pretty alarming, isn’t it? Well it’s National Child Passenger Safety Week and Don Brown Chevrolet is here to help educate you about your child’s passenger safety!
While designers are working hard to construct cars and car seats that are as safe as possible, it’s up to parents to take the initiative to make sure these safety devices are installed and being use properly. As a result, General Motors has Partnered with Safe Kids Worldwide to Improve Child Passenger Safety! To make sure your child is as safe as possible while cruising in the car, check out these important tips from GM and Safe Kids Worldwide ––
- The right direction of the car seat is key! Keep your child rear-facing for as long as possible, usually lasting until around age 2. When they grow out of that seat, move your child to a forward-facing car seat.
- Check the label on your car seat! Make sure the seat is right for your child’s age, height and weight.
- Once installed, make sure to give a good shake to the core of the car seat. A properly installed seat will not move more than an inch.
- Make sure to do a pinch test! When the harness is buckled tightly and coming from the correct slots (see car seat manual), place the chest clip at armpit level and pinch the strap at your child’s shoulder. If you cannot pinch any surplus webbing, the car seat is good to go!
- Keep children in the backseat until they are 13 years of age.
- NEVER leave your child alone in the car! The temperature inside the car can soar 20 degrees higher within a ONE minute!
There is NOTHING more important than the safety of our children, which is why we are THRILLED that GM has Partnered with Safe Kids Worldwide to Improve Child Passenger Safety! At your local area Kirkwood Area Chevrolet Dealer, customer safety is our #1 priority! Visit us to find the perfect vehicle to keep your family safe and happy. Don Brown Chevrolet is located at 2244 S. Kingshighway in St. Louis, MO at the entrance of “The Hill”. At Don Brown, we are committed to providing our customers with the full dealership experience. For more information visit our website www.donbrownchevrolet.com or contact us at (314) 282-7887.